Get a tax number


As soon as you have the paperwork from the state in which your business is registered, you should get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You need this even if you don’t employ anyone.  in general, you will need an EIN to establish a bank account for your business.


Go the IRS site for Small Businesses and Self-Employed for more general information and for instructions to complete your EIN application online.


Soon completing your application, you should receive a letter with your tax number.